When traveling through Indonesia some years ago I came across this shop called “Rotiboy”. They were selling some type of sweet buns and their catchphrase was: One is never enough. I laughed at the catchphrase, bought a rotibun… but then found myself coming back for another one five minutes later! :p
These ginger snaps are just like that. One is simply never enough – Nathan, who’s a real sucker for ginger snaps (just like all kiwis, these biscuits are the most popular in New Zealand), couldn’t keep his hands off them – and to tell you the truth, nor could I!
The spicy ginger cookies go perfectly with the sweet and tangy lemon filling – yum!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 150 g/5 oz vegan butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp plant milk
- 1/4 cup dark syrup
- 1/2 cup white sugar, to roll the cookies in
- 115 g/ 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream vegan butter and white and brown sugar until fluffy. Add plant milk and dark syrup and mix until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture and continue mixing by hand to a dough.
- Roll our the dough to a 20 cm/8 inch long log, about 5 cm/2 inch thick. Wrap in plastic foil and let rest in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 175°C/350F. Pour sugar in a bowl. Remove the plastic foil from the log and cut the dough in slices, about 1cm/0,5 inch thick. Dip one side of each cookie in sugar and place on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet with about 5 cm/2 inches gap between them. Bake in the oven for 11–13 min. Let cool, and prepare the filling.
- Mix vegan cream cheese in a bowl, add lemon juice and salt and mix well. Gradually add the icing sugar until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Spread a rounded tablespoon of filling on the flat sides of half of the cookies and top with remaining cookies, like a macaron.