Rhubarb and strawberries are one of my favourite flavour combinations: the sweetness from the strawberries combined with the tangy rhubarb is just wonderful, and there is something truly special about the excitement when the season for local strawberries and rhubarb finally comes. It’s like a sign that summer is on its way.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy them is to roast them in some balsamic vinegar and serve with ice cream (in this case some soy based vanilla ice cream)!
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- 3 cups roughly chopped rhubarb
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup white wine (or orange juice)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Ice cream of your choice
- Preheat the oven at 175°C/347F. Combine strawberries and rhubarb in a bowl. Mix the maple syrup, white wine, balsamic vinegar and salt in a separate bowl, pour the mixture over the fruit and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven for about 40 minutes until the rhubarb is soft. Serve with ice cream!