Hummus has become my go-to travel food. It’s not always easy to find veggie food when traveling, but where there is hummus, you can be sure to find something tasty that’s plant based.
Hummus is an extremely versatile spread that can be used in all sorts of meals, from salads to wraps and sandwiches, or just as a simple dip with some chips. I love some oumph in my hummus, and usually I play around a bit with different flavor combinations.
This version is one of my favorites, with sun dried tomatoes and juicy bell pepper. Creamy, flavorful and awesome in every way with some crunchy super taste pita chips to dip!
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- juice of a small lemon, to taste
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 tbsp oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 grilled bell pepper, canned
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 4 pita breads
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven at 200°C/390F. Mix all ingredients for the hummus in a food processor to a smooth mixture. Transfer to a bowl and set aside while preparing the pita chips.
- Whisk together garlic powder, lemon pepper and olive oil in a bowl and brush the mixture over both sides of the pita chips. Spread the chips out on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sea salt and roast in the oven for 10 minutes until they're light golden and crispy. Serve with the hummus!