Bank Of America Hiring Process Reddit, Space Wolf Research, Mckenna Grace Resume, Andro Meaning Lgbt, Fat Albert Theme Song, What Did Larry Nassar Do To Mckayla Reddit, " /> 303 savage vs 300 savage Bank Of America Hiring Process Reddit, Space Wolf Research, Mckenna Grace Resume, Andro Meaning Lgbt, Fat Albert Theme Song, What Did Larry Nassar Do To Mckayla Reddit, " /> Bank Of America Hiring Process Reddit, Space Wolf Research, Mckenna Grace Resume, Andro Meaning Lgbt, Fat Albert Theme Song, What Did Larry Nassar Do To Mckayla Reddit, " /> Bank Of America Hiring Process Reddit, Space Wolf Research, Mckenna Grace Resume, Andro Meaning Lgbt, Fat Albert Theme Song, What Did Larry Nassar Do To Mckayla Reddit, " />

About me

My Cookbook

Instagram

logo
Personal

303 savage vs 300 savage

WNC Seabee Member. My pick would be the classic Model 99 Savage in .300 Savage. Help me decide if I should keep this new .308 I just traded into. The english originaly came out with the long cased belt wearing Hollands super 30 (300 H&H) so they could equal the original ballistcs of the baddest 30 cal around (30-06) with thier long grained cordite propelant and savage did the same thing with thier short little sharp shouldered cartridge. One intriguing variation was known as “.303 Miniature.” This ammunition was loaded with light bullets (80 to 110 grains) at modest velocities. Limitations of the magazine restrict the use of spitzer bullets. I really dont want to pay to have scope mounts added to both of these guns and therefore its hard to tell how accurate they will be at say 150-200 yards out. Why don't you shoot them to determine which is more accurate? If I were trying them in a different rifle, I would back off 5 percent with all of them to be on the safe side. - Galahad. The .300 Savage is a Newton design, rimless, little taper, short neck. These are all Dominion cartridges. If I still had the old takedown with its 20-inch barrel that was my first .303 Savage 20 years. If you have a firearm related question, please register and post it on the forums. This is not possible in a .30-30 with a tubular magazine. Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by WNC Seabee, Jan 7, 2011. ? Yep, shoot them both with iron sites and see which YOU like better. When you think about it the ol' savage is the shooting worlds first short mag. If hunting bears and moose, it is very important to have reliable extraction every time, so keeping pressures down and case expansion minimal is critical. According to Mike Nesbitt, who researched this extensively, all .303 Savage groove diameters measure .308, but some loaded ammunition had bullets that measured .311 inch, including Remington and Savage. Generally speaking, because of the limited overall cartridge length with any given bullet weight, roundnose or flatnose bullets work better than spitzers. 115 (May-June 1985) covered it all, and then some. The .303 Savage is a rimmed, .30 caliber rifle cartridge developed by the Savage Arms Company in 1894 which was designed as a short action cartridge for their Savage Model 1895 later 1899 hammerless lever-action rifle. In one instance (IMR-4320), I included an older load which was the heaviest recommended back then, in order to have a comparison. I know folks that hunt elk with 99s in 300 Savage. Both the IMR-4320 and LEVERevolution loads do that, so if I had to choose between them, it would depend on accuracy. I have always wondered why everyone seems to think the 308 is a superior cartridge to a 300 savage. Neither the bullet diameter nor the cartridge dimensions are compatible. The bullets I’ve used include the Hornady 100-grain semi-jacketed softpoint, Hornady 110-grain roundnose, Speer 130-grain flatpoint, both Speer and Hornady 150-grain roundnoses and the Barnes 190. Back in the day, .303 Savage fans considered it superior to the .30-30, as its 190 grain bullet was heavier than the 170 grain .30-30 bullet. Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: http://www.buffaloarms.com/baco-in.htm#select. Myself and other arms handlers have trusted this round w/ 180 grain for in-camp bear shooting (Absolutely non-ideal dangerouns predator shooting conditions...but it's a Workers Compensation Board requirement). In .308 diameter, there is a vast range of bullets that can be used in the .303 Savage. Ask a Canadian hunter about the effectiveness of the .303 British round on Elk, and Moose. It seemed to me that Hodgdon’s LEVERevolution offered the greatest potential in the Savage 99, which is, after all, a lever rifle. It was originally developed to give .30-06 velocities in the short-action lever Model 99 and succeded. Does anyone else have both rifles and not really notice a difference? The brass cases can be formed from .30-30 Winchester, .32 Winchester Special, and .38-55 Winchester casings. The .300 Savage is a Newton design, rimless, little taper, short neck. The 303 brit has my vote I have seen alot of animals taken with this accurate round from 55 inch bull moose to a grizzly ( The 303 is NOT my choosen round for Grizzly bear ). The .300 Savage was a big step above the .30/30 and old .303 Savage and, if one looks closely, it is still shoulder to shoulder with the much newer and much-ballyhooed .308 Win. Three cartridges that are always lumped together include (left to right): the .30-30 Winchester, .303 Savage and the .32 Winchester. id get what ever the ammo is cheapest for and a more selection of it. Older powders recommended for the .303 Savage with jacketed bullets that are still available include IMR’s 3031, 4064 and 4320, and Hodgdon 4895. The 300 Savage is best with 150 jacketed bullets stepping along in a scope sighted rifle. This Savage Model 1899 was made in 1912. Today, handloaders can duplicate most of those, if not all. The .300 Savage is a bit more powerful, although not noticeably so. As far as I know, the .303 Savage is now obsolete, as neither rifles nor ammunition are commercially available. I tried the Hornady 125-grain hollowpoint spitzer but found I had to seat it too deeply, with the curve of the ogive below the mouth of the case. The IMR-4320 load of 36.0 grains with a 190-grain bullet is listed as “maximum” in all the old manuals, with a muzzle velocity of 2,145 fps. Author Topic: .303 brit or .300 savage (Read 5732 times) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. It was designed to replace the less powerful .303 Savage in their popular Savage Model 99 hammerless lever-action rifle. Your mileage may vary. Well both would take a deer down at close range. by biggamehunter69 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:50 pm, by caribukiller » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:35 am, by mr.trooper » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:41 pm, by great white hunter » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:57 pm. That book from sometime around 1914. LGS has an absolutely beautiful octagon barreled 99... in 303 Savage... Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. I actually prefer my 99 in 300 savage to my 308. Where the .303 Savage really made its big-game reputation was with a 190-grain bullet. Isaiah 45:22. Brass cannot be fashioned from .30-30 because it is fatter at the base, although the rim is the same size. But, they got me started. Which would be better for use as a hunting rifle, more specificly which one would be more accurate between the two if any, and if anybody has any knowledge on the topic how do the ati no drill scopemounts work for the enfields. As I remember right the 303 has a bit more recoil then the 300 savage. This was a well-thought of hunting outfit before the advent of the .308 Winchester. "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin, Vintage Boxes - Gear, Shell, Case, Primer, Group Buys Design, Active , Waiting and Archives, Closed Buys/Waiting for delivery/in shipment, If this is your first visit, be sure to If you are a TFL member and can access TFL, please do not use this link; instead, use the forums (like Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support) or PM an appropriate mod or admin. SKS Newbie; Posts: 31.303 brit or .300 savage « on: November 13, 2006, 06:53:53 PM » I have a no 1 mk 3 enfield that has a chopped stock that I got a while back for a hundred bucks. Fortunately, around 2005, Huntington Die Specialties (HDS) prevailed on Norma to produce a run of brass, which is still available. While there are all kinds of .308 bullets around, not all will work. The 300 Savage is a time tested "deer rifle" that stretches out the effective range vis-a-vi the 30-30. I know the Brit has a little more pop to it but I just love the 300 savage. I tried the Powley Computer, but it advised a load of IMR-4064 that I considered imprudent. It would **almost** equal the early .30-06 and is the ancestor of the .308, as the army started with it when developing the 7.72 NATO in the '50s. Ken Waters said that his .303 Savage was made in 1904 and had a .308" ten twist barrel. Keep the .308 or not? 10 (November-December 1967) and Mike Nesbitt in Handloader No. Ideal Handbook No 22 said that early .303 Savages had a .303" bore but had since been adjusted to .300". However, the pointed-tip bullets gave it a ballistic advantage over other traditional lever-action cartridges such as the .30-30 Winchester. Savage 99s were made in many configurations, with standard barrel lengths ranging from 20 to 26 inches. The most recent loading data I can find is in Lyman Reloading Handbook, 45th Edition (1969), in the “Obsolete Cartridges” section. This gave it the edge for animals larger than deer, and Canadian moose hunters loved. The .303 Savage became a commercial success and remained reasonably popular into the 1930's. The cartridge was designed for smokeless powder at a time when black-powder cartridges were still popular. check out the. Oh and I will most likely be hunting deer with the rifle and possibly some elk. When I've been working up north during summer, my bush rifle was a no4Mk1 Enfield. Thanks for the responses, especially yours Jim. Jacketed bullet loading data for the .303 Savage from Lyman Handbook, 43rd Edition ranges from 80 grains to 190 grains. i would get a full auto bren gun .303 brit for deer. Also you can find 150 grain rounds for both the only thing to say is that the 303 has a bit more speed and impact then the savage. with a 150-gr. It is an excellent load. One has to start somewhere, and my starting point was published loads for these powders in the .30-30 with comparable bullet weights. Proceeding with my usual excessive (not to say fearful) caution, LEVERevolution provided the best results in three different bullet weights, including the all-important 190 grain. Working with the .300 Savage a couple of years ago, I found the same thing – and for the same reasons. Watch for deer and stupid people they'll cost you if you hit one. The history of the .303 Savage is replete with misunderstanding and misinformation. The case has a very short neck and if cast bullets is your goal, it is not the best choice. Several new powders offer potential with this cartridge. [3], The .303 Savage and the .303 British cartridge are not interchangeable with each other. If there are guns in the room - one of them had better belong to you! Anybody have any litature in reloading manuals for .303 Savage? Watched my grandpa mow alot of deer down in his day with that gun. The Savage 99 has a rotary magazine, so spitzer bullets can be used. This allows me to go with heavier bullets and heavier charges of slower-burning powder, and get higher velocity instead of more muzzle flash. All of the data included in this article was produced using Norma brass. And yet the .300 Savage (like the .308) can be downloaded (Gee, what a novel idea) to 30/30 levels (more or less) which is a real "plus". From what I understand, 303 Sav performs more like a 30-30 and was the precursor to 300Savage. 06-05-2017, 07:15 PM. As I remember right the 303 has a bit more recoil then the 300 savage. Watch for deer and stupid people they'll cost you if you hit one. In a 26-inch barrel like this one, the cartridge is capable of impressive performance. It would **almost** equal the early .30-06 and is the ancestor of the .308, as the army started with it when developing the 7.72 NATO in the '50s. After the 308 design was patterned (stolen from) the 300 savage. This brings me to the starting point. The Canadian company continued production of .303 Savage ammunition long after it was dropped by American companies.

Bank Of America Hiring Process Reddit, Space Wolf Research, Mckenna Grace Resume, Andro Meaning Lgbt, Fat Albert Theme Song, What Did Larry Nassar Do To Mckayla Reddit,

No Comments

Leave a Reply