It is normally said with affection to the person being silly. I've read that geese were assumed to be dumb and foolish due to their gait thus "silly goose" is a dumb silly person (although the only source that seems to support this is "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable"). New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Discussing the origins of words and phrases, in English or any other language. I wonder if that predates “silly goose” and teachers/parents/etc evolved to use silly instead of stupid to avoid use of the harsher adjective with small children. It occurred to me that that may be the original phrase, and came more from the assonance in English between “stupid” and “goose” than from any particular derision toward geese vs other birds.

Another is that the goose in Egyptian hieroglyphics was the emblem for a silly man (though whether this would survive to live on in English I don’t know). I've been doing some research on the origin of this phrase and I've found some conflicting information. I'm not sure when it came to be used as it is now, but the affectionate term had a different use once. Silly goose It is a term people use when someone is being silly. I have absolutely no idea why the saying mentions a goose. I understand 'to goose' to be grabbing an ass cheek. If their mates come too close to another male, the angry goose will stand in between them, comically waggling its wings and making hissing sounds to deter his rival. To cook one's goose first attested 1845, of unknown origin; attempts to connect it to Swedish history and Greek fables are unconvincing.

The expression “silly goose” refers to a person who acts in a childish, foolish but somewhat comical way.

By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Does anyone know the full name of the cited author – [Buck]? To pinch someone's buttock. A final potential source is that it comes from fables and fairy tales where a goose is often seen as stupid.

The expression “silly goose” refers to a person who acts in a childish, foolish but somewhat comical way. Answers must be in-depth and comprehensive, or they will be removed. https://www.etymonline.com/word/goose#etymonline_v_9053, https://www.etymonline.com/word/silly#etymonline_v_23518. Male geese are quite aggressive in the barnyard and chase and bite while you are doing chores. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/silly_goose.

(1) One of the earliest appearances of seely - or silly - goose occurred in a collection of poems printed in 10 editions (from 1576 to 1606 ), called The Paradise of Dainty Devices ; it is unclear whether silly or seely was used though; no facsimile of any of the original editions I hear young children calling people a silly goose when they do something that the kids think doesn't make sense. The goose that lays golden eggs (15c.) maybe because people see geese as being silly. Again another sub could probably tell you more. Silly originally meant "pious" and was applied to the animals both sheep and goose. ), The Secret Science of Solving Crossword Puzzles, Racist Phrases to Remove From Your Mental Lexicon. Bonus question: I'm pretty sure there is next to no info on this since it is such an unknown slang term and I've been unable to find anything, but if anyone can tell me the origin of the verb "to goose" (to poke someone between the asscheeks), that would also be super interesting. Those silly bastards are out for blood. Press J to jump to the feed. 2. "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable" revised by Adrian Room (HarperCollinsPublishers, New York, 1999, Sixteenth Edition). Source: The Lost Language Of Symbolism by Harold Bayley, https://books.google.com/books?id=WcSvLTFaknAC&lpg=PA96&ots=4yCbIHxdiW&dq=silly%20goose%20origin&pg=PA96#v=onepage&q=silly%20goose%20origin&f=false, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the AskHistorians community. Oviedo High School Principal Fired, How To Soften Super Glue, Amazon Prime Logo Svg, Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends 123movies English Sub, German B1 Vocabulary List Pdf, John Noble Net Worth, Spanish Restaurant Vocabulary Pdf, South Tucson Police, Wolf Power Rifled Slug Review, Daniella Monet 'chicago Lyrics, Racing Games Unblocked 77, 40 Days After Death Prayer, Federal Edge Tlr, Sammy Gravano Daughter, Translate English To Kiribati Language, Airline Manager 4 Easy Vs Realism, Legacies Book Series Julie Plec, Diva New Look Reviews, How Many Eggs Is 8 Oz, Omari Hardwick Kids, Werewolf Minecraft Skin Girl, Tim Lancaster Pilot Today, " /> silly goose origin
It is normally said with affection to the person being silly. I've read that geese were assumed to be dumb and foolish due to their gait thus "silly goose" is a dumb silly person (although the only source that seems to support this is "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable"). New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Discussing the origins of words and phrases, in English or any other language. I wonder if that predates “silly goose” and teachers/parents/etc evolved to use silly instead of stupid to avoid use of the harsher adjective with small children. It occurred to me that that may be the original phrase, and came more from the assonance in English between “stupid” and “goose” than from any particular derision toward geese vs other birds.

Another is that the goose in Egyptian hieroglyphics was the emblem for a silly man (though whether this would survive to live on in English I don’t know). I've been doing some research on the origin of this phrase and I've found some conflicting information. I'm not sure when it came to be used as it is now, but the affectionate term had a different use once. Silly goose It is a term people use when someone is being silly. I have absolutely no idea why the saying mentions a goose. I understand 'to goose' to be grabbing an ass cheek. If their mates come too close to another male, the angry goose will stand in between them, comically waggling its wings and making hissing sounds to deter his rival. To cook one's goose first attested 1845, of unknown origin; attempts to connect it to Swedish history and Greek fables are unconvincing.

The expression “silly goose” refers to a person who acts in a childish, foolish but somewhat comical way.

By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Does anyone know the full name of the cited author – [Buck]? To pinch someone's buttock. A final potential source is that it comes from fables and fairy tales where a goose is often seen as stupid.

The expression “silly goose” refers to a person who acts in a childish, foolish but somewhat comical way. Answers must be in-depth and comprehensive, or they will be removed. https://www.etymonline.com/word/goose#etymonline_v_9053, https://www.etymonline.com/word/silly#etymonline_v_23518. Male geese are quite aggressive in the barnyard and chase and bite while you are doing chores. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/silly_goose.

(1) One of the earliest appearances of seely - or silly - goose occurred in a collection of poems printed in 10 editions (from 1576 to 1606 ), called The Paradise of Dainty Devices ; it is unclear whether silly or seely was used though; no facsimile of any of the original editions I hear young children calling people a silly goose when they do something that the kids think doesn't make sense. The goose that lays golden eggs (15c.) maybe because people see geese as being silly. Again another sub could probably tell you more. Silly originally meant "pious" and was applied to the animals both sheep and goose. ), The Secret Science of Solving Crossword Puzzles, Racist Phrases to Remove From Your Mental Lexicon. Bonus question: I'm pretty sure there is next to no info on this since it is such an unknown slang term and I've been unable to find anything, but if anyone can tell me the origin of the verb "to goose" (to poke someone between the asscheeks), that would also be super interesting. Those silly bastards are out for blood. Press J to jump to the feed. 2. "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable" revised by Adrian Room (HarperCollinsPublishers, New York, 1999, Sixteenth Edition). Source: The Lost Language Of Symbolism by Harold Bayley, https://books.google.com/books?id=WcSvLTFaknAC&lpg=PA96&ots=4yCbIHxdiW&dq=silly%20goose%20origin&pg=PA96#v=onepage&q=silly%20goose%20origin&f=false, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the AskHistorians community. Oviedo High School Principal Fired, How To Soften Super Glue, Amazon Prime Logo Svg, Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends 123movies English Sub, German B1 Vocabulary List Pdf, John Noble Net Worth, Spanish Restaurant Vocabulary Pdf, South Tucson Police, Wolf Power Rifled Slug Review, Daniella Monet 'chicago Lyrics, Racing Games Unblocked 77, 40 Days After Death Prayer, Federal Edge Tlr, Sammy Gravano Daughter, Translate English To Kiribati Language, Airline Manager 4 Easy Vs Realism, Legacies Book Series Julie Plec, Diva New Look Reviews, How Many Eggs Is 8 Oz, Omari Hardwick Kids, Werewolf Minecraft Skin Girl, Tim Lancaster Pilot Today, " />

(1) One of the earliest appearances of seely - or silly - goose occurred in a collection of poems printed in 10 editions (from 1576 to 1606 ), called The Paradise of Dainty Devices ; it is unclear whether silly or seely was used though; no facsimile of any of the original editions I hear young children calling people a silly goose when they do something that the kids think doesn't make sense. The goose that lays golden eggs (15c.) maybe because people see geese as being silly. Again another sub could probably tell you more. Silly originally meant "pious" and was applied to the animals both sheep and goose. ), The Secret Science of Solving Crossword Puzzles, Racist Phrases to Remove From Your Mental Lexicon. Bonus question: I'm pretty sure there is next to no info on this since it is such an unknown slang term and I've been unable to find anything, but if anyone can tell me the origin of the verb "to goose" (to poke someone between the asscheeks), that would also be super interesting. Those silly bastards are out for blood. Press J to jump to the feed. 2. "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable" revised by Adrian Room (HarperCollinsPublishers, New York, 1999, Sixteenth Edition). Source: The Lost Language Of Symbolism by Harold Bayley, https://books.google.com/books?id=WcSvLTFaknAC&lpg=PA96&ots=4yCbIHxdiW&dq=silly%20goose%20origin&pg=PA96#v=onepage&q=silly%20goose%20origin&f=false, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the AskHistorians community. Oviedo High School Principal Fired, How To Soften Super Glue, Amazon Prime Logo Svg, Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends 123movies English Sub, German B1 Vocabulary List Pdf, John Noble Net Worth, Spanish Restaurant Vocabulary Pdf, South Tucson Police, Wolf Power Rifled Slug Review, Daniella Monet 'chicago Lyrics, Racing Games Unblocked 77, 40 Days After Death Prayer, Federal Edge Tlr, Sammy Gravano Daughter, Translate English To Kiribati Language, Airline Manager 4 Easy Vs Realism, Legacies Book Series Julie Plec, Diva New Look Reviews, How Many Eggs Is 8 Oz, Omari Hardwick Kids, Werewolf Minecraft Skin Girl, Tim Lancaster Pilot Today, " />

About me

My Cookbook

Instagram

logo
Personal

silly goose origin

Fact Check: What Power Does the President Really Have Over State Governors? (Dialogue between witch and children). The government's proposed scheme to fix income inequality by overhauling the tax code in favor of corporations is about as silly as a goose. It is a widespread phenomenon that the words for 'innocent', apart from their legal use, develop, through 'harmless, guileless', a disparaging sense 'credulous, naive, simple, foolish.'

See https://www.etymonline.com/word/goose#etymonline_v_9053. Please read the rules before participating, as we remove all comments which break the rules.

They panic easily, are in a constant uproar, they're dumb and goofy.

1. GOOSE or GEESE - "A foolish or ignorant person is called a goose because of the alleged stupidity of this bird." Goose was meant to imply happy/innocent and sheep innocent/pure. Does anyone have any insight into this or can point me in the right direction? The entry in the Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable states, “A foolish or ignorant person is called a goose because of the alleged stupidity of this bird." Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. (denigrating) Silly person, usually referring to female. Goose-egg "zero" first attested 1866 in baseball slang, from being large and round. The entry in the Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable states, “A foolish or ignorant person is called a goose because of the alleged stupidity of this bird." Cookies help us deliver our Services. The perception of geese as being particularly stupid and emblematic of foolishness has four possible sources. So ultimately this boils down to the perception of geese as being stupid and representing foolishness. In this case, calling one a 'silly goose' would extrapolate to, "You're unusual, possibly judgementally-impaired, but not in a way I find detrimental to anyone but yourself so I'll make an light-hearted offhand comment, rather than a direct and serious criticism.". I recently read a very old translation/version of a brothers grimm fairy tale (Hansel and Gretel), The term “stupid goose” was used. If you've ever spent much time around domestic geese, you would have your answer.

(1) One of the earliest appearances of seely - or silly - goose occurred in a collection of poems printed in 10 editions (from 1576 to 1606 ), called The Paradise of Dainty Devices ; it is unclear whether silly or seely was used though; no facsimile of any of the original editions I hear young children calling people a silly goose when they do something that the kids think doesn't make sense. The goose that lays golden eggs (15c.) maybe because people see geese as being silly. Again another sub could probably tell you more. Silly originally meant "pious" and was applied to the animals both sheep and goose. ), The Secret Science of Solving Crossword Puzzles, Racist Phrases to Remove From Your Mental Lexicon. Bonus question: I'm pretty sure there is next to no info on this since it is such an unknown slang term and I've been unable to find anything, but if anyone can tell me the origin of the verb "to goose" (to poke someone between the asscheeks), that would also be super interesting. Those silly bastards are out for blood. Press J to jump to the feed. 2. "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable" revised by Adrian Room (HarperCollinsPublishers, New York, 1999, Sixteenth Edition). Source: The Lost Language Of Symbolism by Harold Bayley, https://books.google.com/books?id=WcSvLTFaknAC&lpg=PA96&ots=4yCbIHxdiW&dq=silly%20goose%20origin&pg=PA96#v=onepage&q=silly%20goose%20origin&f=false, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the AskHistorians community.

Oviedo High School Principal Fired, How To Soften Super Glue, Amazon Prime Logo Svg, Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends 123movies English Sub, German B1 Vocabulary List Pdf, John Noble Net Worth, Spanish Restaurant Vocabulary Pdf, South Tucson Police, Wolf Power Rifled Slug Review, Daniella Monet 'chicago Lyrics, Racing Games Unblocked 77, 40 Days After Death Prayer, Federal Edge Tlr, Sammy Gravano Daughter, Translate English To Kiribati Language, Airline Manager 4 Easy Vs Realism, Legacies Book Series Julie Plec, Diva New Look Reviews, How Many Eggs Is 8 Oz, Omari Hardwick Kids, Werewolf Minecraft Skin Girl, Tim Lancaster Pilot Today,

No Comments

Leave a Reply