About me

My Cookbook

Instagram

logo
Personal

the land of open graves quotes

Since the mid-1990s, the U.S. federal government has relied on a border enforcement strategy known as “Prevention Through Deterrence.” Using various security infrastructure and techniques of surveillance, this strategy funnels undocumented migrants towards remote and rugged terrain such as the Sonoran Desert of Arizona with the hope that mountains ranges, extreme temperatures, and other “natural” obstacles will deter people from unauthorized entry. In this presentation, Mr. De Leon will focus on what happens to the bodies of migrants who die in the desert and the devastating and long-lasting trauma this causes to the families and loved ones of those who have perished. Technological Warfare 7. The Land of Open Graves reveals the suffering and deaths that occur daily in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona as thousands of undocumented migrants attempt to cross the border from Mexico into the United States. Jason De León is Professor of Anthropology and Chicana/o Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, with his lab located in the Cotsen Institute of Archaeology.  US$24.25, US$15.31 © 2020  Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.  US$16.95, US$64.00 I wholly recommend this book." --Danny Hoffman, author of The War Machines: Young Men and Violence in Sierra Leone and Liberia "The Land of Open Graves is a politically, theoretically, and morally important book that mobilizes the four fields of anthropology to demonstrate beyond a doubt how current US border defense policy results in deliberate death. | 726g, 2001 and Counting - Kubrick, Nietzsche, and Anthropology, What We Don't Talk about When We Talk about Fat, Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save The World, Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind, Third Edition, Contagion, Isolation, and Biopolitics in Victorian London. Thus says the Lord GOD: O my people, I will open your graves and have you rise from them, and bring you back to the land of Israel. --Stanley Brandes, Robert H. Lowie Professor of Anthropology, UC Berkeley "An impressive piece of scholarship, The Land of Open Graves is a brilliant and important book that humanizes the realities of life and death on the migrant trail in southern Arizona."  US$29.95, US$15.94 EL CAMINO 4. I know of no other ethnography of life and death on the borderlands that is more moving, theoretically ambitious, or powerful than this eagerly awaited work." --Randall H. McGuire, author of Archaeology as Political Action "Jason De León has written that rare and precious book--a masterful deployment of tools from across the broad spectrum of anthropology." It is a strong indictment of the violence migrants face, particularly of a structural sort, and it calls us to "better understand how our worlds are intertwined and the ethical responsibility we have to one another as human beings."  US$26.00, US$24.89  US$17.00, US$15.34 Beautifully written and engaging, it is a must-read for the general public and students across the social sciences." Epilogue Acknowledgments Appendix A. --Lynn Stephen, author of Transborder Lives: Indigenous Oaxacans in Mexico, California, and Oregon and We Are the Face of Oaxaca: Testimony and Social Movements "The Land of Open Graves is an invaluable book, one full of rich ethnographic accounts of migrants, sharp analysis, and beautiful photographs by Michael Wells (as well as some by the migrants De León encounters).