I’m definitely a morning person – I love getting up as early as possible, before the rest of the world wakes up. I start my day by going for an hour long walk in the park close to my home. When the weekend comes around, my “natural” body clock is so used to early mornings that I wake up at 6 am without an alarm anyway. I don’t really mind though, since that gives me more time to enjoy a proper weekend breakfast like this tofu scramble I made this morning!
This tofu scramble recipe is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch, is full of proteins from both the tofu and black beans and a great way to start the day – yum!
- 400 g/14 oz tofu
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 400 g/14 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Drain the tofu in a colander and then wrap in several layers of paper towels to absorb liquid. Then mash with a fork into smaller crumbs and pieces.
- Fry onion and bell peppers in oil for 3-4 minutes until they soften. Stir in cumin and coriander and fry until fragrant. Add tofu and turmeric and stir.
- Finally add beans, stir and heat through. Stir in cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with toast and a salad.