I only found out about whoopie pies a few years ago, and when I tried them for the first time I couldn’t believe how these delicious litle fluffy cookie sandwiches had escaped me for so long!
Fluffy, chocolate, creamy and delicious – the only thing better than a cookie is a double cookie with filling in between!
I veganized this recipe so that everyone can have the opportunity to enjoy whoopie pies, and it turned out great!
Hope you like it 🙂
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cup flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp crushed flax seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 100 g non-dairy butter
- ½ cup non-dairy cream cheese (like Tofutti)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven at 390F/200°C. Whisk flax seeds and water and set aside for 10 minutes. Whisk milk and vinegar in a separate bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add coconut oil, vanilla extract and sugar and mix until creamy with an electric mixer. Add the flax seed mixture and continue mixing until everything is combined.
- Finally add the flour mixture and the milk mixture and mix to a smooth creamy mixture. Spoon out the mixture on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, about 5 cm/2 inches apart (they will spread!).
- Bake in the oven for about 10–12 minutes and let cool on a cooling tray. In the meantime, combine all the ingredients for the filling. Spoon out the filling on half the cookies, and put the other half of the batch on top like a sandwich or macaron.